We try to have meatless meals several times a week, and these black bean burgers are a favorite. I found the recipe on Allrecipes.com and after giving them a try, I was sold. They’re flavorful and quick to make, and they freeze well*. You can serve them on a traditional hamburger bun, but I like them best on a toasted English muffin, topped with sliced avocado, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and chipotle mayo (see directions below).
Black Bean Burgers
Write a review
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce or hot sauce
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
- Finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
- In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce or hot sauce.
- Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
- If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.
- Serve on rolls with lettuce, tomato, cheese, sliced avocado, and chipotle mayo (mix ¼ cup mayonnaise with 2 teaspoons chipotle hot sauce).
- *To freeze: After forming the mixture into patties, wrap them in wax paper, put them in a resealable bag, and pop them in the freezer. Defrost on the counter for a few hours and then bake according the recipe directions.
Seasoned to Impress http://seasonedtoimpress.com/